Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #1  Post subject: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting - New Extended Season Dates
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 am 
2011 Squirrel Hunting Dates Including Bag and Possession Limits

Statewide

Opens: 5/21/2011
Closes: 2/29/2012

Limits: Daily limit is 8. Possession limit is 32.

Squirrels may not be hunted with rifles or pistols larger than .22 caliber rimfire or with muzzleloaders larger than .40 caliber unless a modern gun or muzzleloading deer season, bear season or coyote season is open. Squirrels may not be hunted with shotguns using rifled slugs or shot larger than T shot.
........................................................................................................................

Arkansas' squirrel season opens Saturday.

Any thoughts on G&F extending it to 9 months out of the year?

Anybody going this weekend or anytime this summer?

Offline Profile  

Judge
2011 Deer Contest
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Winning Team
2007 Deer Contest
2013 Winner Archery
Highest Scoring Deer
Sponsor
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:06 am 
Squirrel season was a big deal in my family when I was a kid, my grandpa, dad and uncles would all camp for a week in October when it opened. Lots of fond memories around that campfire. Folks got older, people moved, the group got smaller, and finally the place we had camped for years that was a friend of a friends spot on the river had a yellow gate on it at the highway. I've gone a few times over the years since I've been grown, but not in the last 6 or 7 years that I can recall. Never have been in the summertime, probably never will unless my boy takes interest and wants to when he gets older. It wouldn't bother me for them to leave it open 9 months out of the year. I don't personally know anyone that hunts them until it gets cold anyway.

Offline Profile  

Highscores: 1
Post #3  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:32 am 
It would definately be more challenging with leaves on the trees. I haven't ever hunted them in warm weather always hunted them during pheasant season in Iowa.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:30 pm 
Since I believe consumptive wildlife should be managed with an eye towards maximum hunter opportunity I give Game and Fish a big thumbs up for extending our squirrel season... while hoping they'll act swiftly if they ever see signs of trouble within our squirrel population, unlike they acted when our turkey population first showed signs of needing regulatory help in the early part of the last decade but didn't get it.......

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:03 pm 
I would hunt Squirrels if i knew someone that would like them to eat.

Offline Profile  

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:07 pm 
fish wrote:

I know a guy who makes squirrel and dumplings. That's the only way to eat squirrel IMO.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2011 Photo Contest

Highscores: 3
Post #7  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:37 pm 
fish wrote:

I shure would pick a mess up from you at the end of next month when I come down there if you wanna go kill some.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest
Winning Team
2011 Deer Contest
2016 Deer Contest
Muzzleloader Co-Winner
2014 Highest Scoring Deer

Post #8  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:32 am 
Would'nt wanna go in the summer. To many ticks, on me and the squirrel. To hot, and to much other stuff going on.

Offline Profile  

Post #9  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting - New Extended Season Dates
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:57 pm 
i'd rather hunt bushy tails than white tails. i deer hunt only occasionly, and when i do, i'm really just out there to see what the squirrels are up to. you know the story - go deer huntin' and see squirrels, go squirrel huntin' and see deer. i have hunted squirrels only a few times in warm weather - too many bugs and snakes competing for the spots i like. i usually waitin til the deer hunters get out of the woods and squirrel hunt january and february. but the weather and my work schedule allowed me only a few days in the woods this past season, so i might squirrel hunt some duing the summer this year, maybe in big timbre wma, maybe onf near lena landing - buckville area. it's good to be in the woods anytime. i'll try it and see if the things that bite and scratch get bad enough to run me off.

Offline Profile  

Post #10  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting - New Extended Season Dates
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:54 pm 
peteroupe wrote:
it's good to be in the woods anytime.

:hesaid: Yep I agree, peteroupe!! :thumbsup:

I love squirrel huntin' too but don't go in the hot weather....I'll normally start sometime around 1st of October. I like hunting them when they are cuttin' the beech and hickory nuts... :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum!!! :thumbup:

Offline Profile  

Post #11  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting - New Extended Season Dates
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:16 pm 
Glad to see the rain we fin'ly got after the drought. It'll make things better if I can ever get to the woods. Had heart by-pass surgery the end of July - still having some problems recovering, so I haven't had a chance to check on the squirrel situation. I think squirrel hunting is great practice for deer hunting and a good start for young hunters. Gets them out there where they can learn to move through the woods, learn to look for sign, re-enforces gun safety, spotsmanship and so many other things. If a kid is exposed to the highly addictive habit of squirrel hunting, he or she is a lot less likely to end up addicted to something else.

Offline Profile  

Post #12  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting - New Extended Season Dates
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:58 pm 
peteroupe wrote:
I think squirrel hunting is great practice for deer hunting and a good start for young hunters. Gets them out there where they can learn to move through the woods, learn to look for sign, re-enforces gun safety, spotsmanship and so many other things. If a kid is exposed to the highly addictive habit of squirrel hunting, he or she is a lot less likely to end up addicted to something else.

:hesaid: Great post peteroupe... :thumbup:

Hope you get to feelin better soon, peteroupe....I haven't had time to go squirrel huntin yet either. Hope to in the next week or so... :thumbsup:

Offline Profile  

Post #13  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting - New Extended Season Dates
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:21 pm 
Ok, y'all, these dates were for 2011 and it about to be 2014! Caint we get an update of the season dates and get this one taken down?

Offline Profile  

Post #14  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting - New Extended Season Dates
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:55 pm 
Species: Squirrel, gray;Squirrel, fox
Zones: Statewide
Opens: 5/15/2013
Closes: 2/28/2014
Shooting Hours: 30 Minutes Before Sunrise Until 30 Minutes After Sunset
Limits:
Daily limit is 12. Possession limit is 48.
More:
Squirrels may not be hunted with rifles or pistols larger than .22 caliber rimfire or with muzzleloaders larger than .40 caliber unless a modern gun or muzzleloading deer season, bear season or coyote season is open. Squirrels may not be hunted with shotguns using rifled slugs or shot larger than T shot.

rmcmurry wrote:
Ok, y'all, these dates were for 2011 and it about to be 2014! Caint we get an update of the season dates and get this one taken down?

The dates really haven't changed much. Besides I'd suggest always double checking what you see or hear. G&F have a website and app so its no excuse not to.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #15  Post subject: Re: Arkansas Squirrel Hunting - New Extended Season Dates
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:11 pm 
I agree with neo. But although this thread was set up just for 2011 we don't post rumors concerning seasons and bag limits on our Forum and instead get all that type info from G&F. But G&F is so bad about always changing the rules it's always best to double check with them anytime you have any doubt about what you read. And we have direct G&F links located in several places here on the Forum for members who want to access from here.

But then again, G&F doesn't always know what the current rules are themselves..... :censored:

Offline Profile